- Interviewer- Young people these days are portrayed as somewhat 'out of control', throughout the media due to the rise in violent crimes among people as well as the gang culture, drugs and binge drinking. How do you respond to claims that young people are a threat to society?
- Student- I reject these claims, simply because from my experiences with young people I have never encountered any threat of violence, and while i have witnessed young people acting irresponsibly with both alcohol and drugs i don't feel it is fair for the media to use such strong labels on a group as wide ranging as 'young people' to be judged on a few violent individuals.
- Hoodie: Real talk, I can see why adults are shook of young people, cos the media make us look lyk were animals. Im not gna lie, i seen peeps get moved to on road buh jus' cos some man are on that flex it dont mean that every man is. There is pressure for us to do shit like that but jus cos some of us we bun weed n ting it don't make us a threat to society.
- Interviewer- How do you feel when you see a group of young males wearing dark hooded items of clothing?
- Student: If I'm being perfectly honest I try to maintain a safe distance from characters such as the ones you are describing. However I have encountered times when I have had to pass through places which are described as 'rough' and 'dangerous' and i do often feel intimidated and threatened, but thankfully on each of these occasions nothing bad actually happened to me.
- Hoodie: When i see a group of hooded up youts, i jus try not to screw dem or look at them to tough, cos if im on my ones n theres a couple of them then i could get beat up or mugged. Real talk the media have got a point when they say that people who wear hoddies are dangerous cos a lot of criminals and gangs wear hoods to conceal their faces but that dont justify the stereotypes aimed at us. Cos when they say hoodie they dont mean someone wearin a hoodie, they mean a teenager, whos black and wears a hoodie.
- Interviewer- How does it make you feel as a young person growing up in this environment and social climate where young people tend to be pre-judged ?
- Student- I don't think this actually affects me,if I'm being perfectly honest. I don't go around wearing hoodies, smoking on street corners with vicious dogs mugging old ladys or shooting people, nor do I give one the impression that I do things like this. I have an aim in life to be successful and i know if I distance myself from people like this then I will be successful.
- Hoodie- It pisses me off. I dont understand how people can be so naive as to fink im dangerous just cos of the clothes i wear lyk. When i get on the bus or a packed train I see people watchin me like im gonna pull out a shank or sumin, sometimes i ignore it but sometimes it annoys the hell out of me n it makes me feel to do somethin like that. When i sit down i see these women shiftin their bags and gripin them tight, how would that make u feel? levels. Its funny, they even banned hoodies in my college cos they say it gives the college a bad image. Its madness.
- Interviewer- How do you feel about 'Hoodies'?
- Student- Hoodies have put an everlasting taint on society... I DESPISE HOODIES!!!!
- Hoodie- Are you serious? haaha.. i swer down, the way u lot love to judge groups of people, its ridiculous. Real talk i feel fine about hoodies, its criminals you should be worried about.